Tuesday 22 February 2022

A New Chapter- Companionship 

 

 Adjacent to my balcony is hers! When the sun rays reaches her, she gradually moves to the balcony on a wheel chair, sometimes on her own. A beautiful girl with cropped hair. She observes things outside, she gazes the cows passing by, the sabjiwalas, the children in the park, at the sky, all and everything around. Sometimes my son waves his hand and she reverts the same. Almost every day I could see her mother taking her to the only place she could explore, her balcony. Being a mother of a two year old, initially that frames portrayed so grey for me. I was sad for that! I would cook up stories within my mind on what would have happened to her. But for a long time, I did not go deep to find the answer. Anyways I felt a kind of positivity just because, despite all this situation, her mother would take care of her so nicely and they looked happy! 

 One day, during a painting class, one of my students, also her cousin, happened to talk about her. Kanjan in her 20’s is bounded with beauty, innocence and extreme willpower to do anything that makes her happy. She is diagnosed with cerebral palsy, a disorder that affects brain. And she loves painting! That night I googled what is all about this disorder and kept scrolling some of the articles. I couldn’t keep on reading because to be frank I felt so disappointed with the reality of the lives. I closed all the tabs and shared about this to my husband. I felt disturbed! 

I really wanted to go and meet her once but I was too doubtful about how would they take it or a kind of weird anticipations as I was a new person for them. I didn’t want to put them in an uncomfortable situation while meeting up someday! But I really wanted to meet her one day. But again, all these hesitant thoughts kept popping inside. 

 Some days later, I and her mother happened to meet at our neighbours function. I could just smile then. She asked “Can you teach my child some art? She will love doing it” and invited us to her home. That moment I realized how bounded I was these many days with so much of awkward thoughts. My thoughts stayed so narrow in front of theirs. I felt guilty that I shouldn’t have waited for her to request that! 

A few days later, I met Kanjan. She has beautiful eyes! She was smiling and within no big time that stranger image melted off and we started talking like we knew each other for a long time. She hardly pronounced words. My son felt so happy because this Covid has brought his world to a smaller circle (everybody's though) where we hardly visits any house! He started playing and felt like home. Her mother shared how helpless they were at times. The only thing what they could do as parents is accept what her child is, and believe that she would improve, improve and improve. 

From there onwards started a new chapter in my life. A complete phase choked with so much emotions except sympathy! All her mother requested to me is some time for her. To keep her engaged with what I know! She requested to take my son along so that her child would feel happy. Yes, by now thamburu has become a happy thing for her. She keeps calling his name a ten times in an hour. 

Not a great teacher enough to teach students but I always wanted to share what I know about what I am doing. I realize some people need some other people, even it could be strangers to keep their life moving. All I could see is a mother seeking for her daughter. They are keeping on searching what best they could provide their daughter. And with a pile of emotions stuffed in their hearts, act of acceptance and hope is the emotions that stays at the top, for now! And I am really so blessed to meet such people and realize that life is all about such great small things. I am so happy that my son is part of this. Here, even if I am teaching something to her, my son, instead, is self-taught about all these happenings!. Both are on learning process! and my husband is so well happy about it!!

So am I a teacher now? Well, I would love to call this as a great Companionship! Each and every person need a companion to share, love and improve! Moreover all they requested is some “valuable time” for her daughter. If I don’t find that little time for somebody who needed it desperately, I would probably miss the importance of time for the rest of my life. 

"Kanjan aur thamburu bhai bahan banjayega", her mother commented the other day. Yes, they are finding happiness from each other. We are companions now! And this so called “time” hopefully, could turned out to be the best time for him and for us! 

I am going back to that days when I was filled with hesitant thoughts about meeting her and visiting her home. I could have spent a little longer if I had a broader thought, if I had the guts to go and meet her just like that! I feel sorry for it now! Sometimes, such reluctance can be a spoiler for all the good things that has to be happened! 

Posing as her art teacher for now, we started off with a flower and a star. She managed to follow the dotted lines I drew and we coloured it red and blue. I am sure that the palette she has now is filled with all the beautiful colours! Let her paint whatever that comes between a flower and a star and beyond that. Let she paint the way she has to, like any other people on this planet does! 

Small things makes life beautiful! 

 Susuwrites

No comments: