Saturday 9 June 2018


Green Cycles!

It was in my 8th grade when my puberty designated me as Woman. Right from the beginning, period gave me immense pain, for that could be the reason that I hated periods. One day, during the college days, I happened to read "Book of Women" penned by Osho, which gave a genuine answer to all my inner queries. Until that day, my periods seemed to be nuisance. I came to know that my body is performing something much more responsibly, like it's meant to!

Now, periods have fixed the primary issue of why that happens to me but the greater problem exists till now! During my master studies, one day my hostel warden burst out, insulting us when she cleaned up the stuck sewage pipes, with a heap of pad wastes nearby. For the first time, I felt so guilty and thought about the environmental impact of the endless number of disposal pads every month I use but as every single girl, that guiltiness was easily overlapped with chit chat sessions.

But now, at this age, I seriously started worrying on the impact that my period cycle is having on our earth planet! Thoughts burdened that over millions of our girls including me become shamelessly part of it! At the other end, periods are unimaginable without disposal sanitary pads for women today!

On these suffocating confusions, on one of my nature camps, I heard a participant talking about the future revolution  "Menstrual Cups". I and my friends where very much bothered about the awkward process of inserting it! We ignored to give ear on further information and just stood calm in our our comfort zone (much similar to most of the girls do now)!

Realization happened now when I decided not to contribute 2400 pads to my earth, for next 10 years , replacing it with my menstrual cups! Initially, as said before I was so bothered about the process and the pain I had to endure. "Come on girl, how long you beat around the bush"?" Everything has a beginning! Change has a beginning! and I endured a little pain for a great beginning. I was done with a happy period with no cramping and bloating, with no wrappers and waste rolls. I was happy for me but consciousness kept questioning "Really happy for nature?" No, definitely not when 1,13,000 tonnes of menstrual waste is disposed annually to the same earth!

I am definitely not an agent to advertise on menstrual cups, but I am solidly responsible to give awareness to all my co-girls. There are lots of products healthy and degradable napkins available but I strongly believe that the Real Green Winner would seem to be Menstrual Cups which generates ZERO WASTE. They have never been popular and they will not in future though. It can fortunately crash the corporate when it comes to the Open world of women!

That is where, is our role to generate the importance of it. I would rather not say that it could be really comfortable for all, but one can leave the comfort zone and make a try for they might work wonderful and you may help the nature on your own way and really make a world better place to live on without our own plastic wastes! Let the change happen within us!

Have a really Happy and Responsible Period and run your Green Cycles!

GREEN THE RED!

Sudhina/ Susuwrites


No comments: