Monday 23 July 2018


That one day in Nepal

Bhoooooh!!! I, was, sliding from a steep snowy mountain. Flipping rapidly and my stomach felt the downward acceleration due to the gravity pulling me so hard. My spatial movements kept changing due to the increase in force. I felt the Adrenalin in my stomach. I screamed and I was nowhere to go and nowhere to stop, just falling so low. I, on spur of moment, thought about my beloved ones who might be waiting for me. What would people say to them? That I just slipped from a steep mountain and died? No, that will be even more dreadful! What about the dreams I weaved so many years about my future?  I murmured to myself, please help me, let me stuck somewhere, with some life pitying on me. I just rolled, hurting. My life is gone, am so sorry! Am so sorry, I thought, and I was about to thrash onto the ground. I just shut my eyes so strong that I shouldn’t witness my scary death!! I apologized to my body and soul!

It was 2’0 P.M in a cozy room of Kathmandu Gardens, one of the vintage hotels in Nepal. I, all of a sudden, opened my eyes, sweating so badly though the weather was deep chill outside. I was aghast about the dream I just slipped out from. It was a dream! I grinned! I had to bank on my blanket and rewind the dream, so many shots and scenes, just like a Hollywood horror action thriller, almost nailing the character into death!

 I kept my eyes open and thought about the day when I asked permission to travel to Nepal to my father.

 He said “Nepal? So far? I can allow you if you throw a satisfying answer to me.” I agreed upon and he asked “Would you be adventurous or a good traveler?” I chose “good traveler.”

A good traveler! I swiftly shut my eyes…..

 “Good traveler”? Is there a term “a good traveler?”. No. Just a “traveler” who ought to be good on his travel. Yes, I will be apparently a traveler because Nepal happened for a reason. I had to escape from thoughts haunting me. I wanted to bring me out from a betrayal ditch and make me believe that life is still beautiful!

I do not want this to turn into a travelogue or a minute list of what I was doing the whole eight days in Nepal! I just wanted that one day in Nepal to pen down, to share and let know!
Though that eight days gave the most beautiful days in my life, that one day gave the toughest day in my life till date. Just toughest until it turned out to be the opposite!

Fortunate? Unfortunate? Might vary to different eyes!
It was that last night, when we were packing our bags to come back to India, I found that I had already lost my one and only possible Identity card somewhere in Nepal. I grew icy. I searched all nook and corners of my surroundings but, yes, I had really lost it. I have lost many things before but this was something very crucial to solve about especially when I did not own a passport.

It was already late night to go out and search all way I had passed. After so many useless discussions, I paused at “What next?” The only option is to register a complaint and seek help at the Indian Embassy. That was not the actual problem. My co-travelers have to leave the next day. I was a bit upset on what to do in a country not familiar to me, language not familiar to me. Okay, I thought, I came here to lose myself over and here it has happened. I slipped into my bed with no less thought. All kind of questions, I’ll miss my flight, I have to manage it all by myself with no sufficient money I have, with no mobile to communicate. Like a chick cracking its shell, I had to crack myself from the comfort zone and forced me to think what next.

I did not know when did I sleep and to my wonder I did not remember any dreams that I should have seen at such situations rolling in my life. All my friends were all set to go to the airport. Sadly, they bid a good bye with great positive words with worried faces.

So, it’s me then, alone at the hotel. The first thing I did was to collect my copy of the identity card from the receptionist. Hopefully, that copy might help me out, I thought! I locked up my bags in the clock room and requested the receptionist to help me out with a cab. With a few needed items, I got into the cab.

“Hi madam, Good morning” wished Aleex. He looked pleasant. He spoke a different slang of English. He was an Ukranian.

I requested him to drop me at the Indian Embassy. On wheels, I was wondering about the consequences of being careless and honestly I was playful thinking about how my friends would tease me telling this. I said Aleex that I lost my ID. Hearing on to the problem, he reminded me of the fact that I may not be able to travel back the same day.

Suddenly, my face turned dark. I started shedding tears. “Try your best madam, plead, they might consider” he said. I thought I was a bit bold when it comes to travel but proving wrong, i was afraid when I felt alone.

“Madam, are you alright?” Politely, asked Aleex .

Sooner we reached the gate of the Indian Embassy. Three to four policemen inquired about my coming. I requested Aleex to wait and I rushed into the office. I was eased when I saw a tamilian officer at the entrance. He asked me not to worry and go inside to clear the temporary travel ID. With great anticipation, I went inside. There was a long queue with so many different people, all possessing a tensed face. After a few minutes, got my turn to ‘plead.’

“Sorry madam, you can’t travel today. You have to wait until tomorrow for the temporary travel ID” said a strict officer wearing a big turban and with a rude mustache.

I pleaded with the exact reason that I had no people connected in this city.  He shouted at me and forced to give way to the next rushing seekers.

Tomorrow? That can’t happen! Where would I stay? What will I tell to my parents? How will I manage with less money? All these questions took a pause when I heard a loud voice. It was the same man I hated the most at the moment. I ran to him expecting an answer favourable to me.
“Pay an amount of 1000 Nepali Rupee and get your receipt. Come tomorrow by 10 AM and you can get your travel ID” Dot

Tears rolled again and again. The tamilian officer tried to put his soothing words but nothing geared my head. “Don’t worry, madam” he said.  But I must worry because I had only 300 nepali rupee with me and a few Indian currency. I rushed to Aleex and requested him to take me to any of the atm centres.

I tried pulling cash but failed so many times. To my misfortune, I came across the most betraying facts on my atm card “Not valid for payment in Foreign Exchange in Nepal and Bhutan”
With no phone I had no idea what to do next because life has eased out things so far with all necessary things right near to me whenever I needed. This kind of incident has never happened to me. I was stuck! I stood for a while. The only light of hope was showered on Aleex who was waiting for me in the cab. I got into the car and with a straight face I asked “Aleex, I am stuck here with no cash in hand, I have to pay an amount of Rs 1000 Nepali Rupee here and I couldn’t use the card. Can I borrow it from you?”

He immediately searched his purse and managed to give me what I asked for. I thanked him   with still tears shedding. I rushed into the office and paid my fee and got the receipt. Okay, work done and what next?

I asked Aleex to go back to the Hotel. On the way back, I had no idea of how will I return his borrowed money. I was preparing to convince him or I even made sure that my gold ring is right in my finger. Overthinking had dried out the fuel in my head. I remained silent.

We reached at the Hotel!
Sometimes, situations take us to a cliff that we think the only option is to jump. But many a times, something magical happens and life gives a chance.

I saw Mr and Mrs Salik, the organizers of our tour to Nepal, waiting for me at the lounge. By the time, I have started to adapt to the situation. The first thing I asked her was to help me with 1000 nepali Rupee. She immediately took out the purse and gave the money. I ran to Aleex. I gave a hug and I said Thank You and handed over the money along with the money i had. He was kind enough to inquire about my savings to survive that day. Though a big No, I said “YES”.  “Madam, be ready at 10 AM tomorrow, I will come and pick you up to the Embassy”he smiled.

When I was stuck with my current situations, he already took effort to make me think of going home the next day. Great man he was!

I rushed back to the lounge and explained what had happened in the great Indian Embassy.
Using the hotels wi-fi connection, I called one of my bestie and asked to transfer an amount to Mr Saliks account. Within minutes he did that for me. Mr Salik, when got credited, gave me the cash in hand to make me feel safe. By the time, my another bestie booked my flight tickets for the next day. You know, that’s why they are tagged “Besties”. Almost most of the problems were solved by then.
I felt relaxed. Then the situation seemed fortunate to me. I got one more day in Nepal to roam around, experience people like Aleex and most importantly experience the aloneness! With not a single familiar face, I started walking through streets.   

I visited Mr and Mrs Saliks home. I had traditional drinks and food, I met people, I felt the cold, I walked, observed, and I was happy that I got lost.

Here the golden words from Alchemist go so apt “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it”

I wouldn’t have got a chance to dump the thoughts that haunted me if this aloneness chance had not happened. I would return happy as any tourists, with memories of Nepal. But some other time, thoughts may peep out leaving myself unclear.

Aloneness was healthy! Aloneness brought smile! Aloneness makes us think more, realize that this is what life is all about!

I slept tight with great belief that no thoughts will ever bother me again! The next day, as promised, I saw Aleex waiting for me at the Hotel. He greeted me with a great smile. With all set, we drove to the embassy to collect my temporary travel ID. The strict mustached man handed over the slip and said “Sorry for the inconvenience. If I were partial to you, do you think the people behind you would accept it?” I just smiled and rushed to see the tamilian officer. I thanked him for his nice words when needed. With temporary Id safe in my hand I got into the car.

“To the airport , madam? Asked Aleex.

He knew it! We had a long conversation on how he reached Nepal from Ukrain. Chased out of poverty and hunger, he started his race in life. He joined as a cab driver in Nepal. Though faced with a lot of bitter emotions, he has gripped to humanity!

He drove into the shortcut and narrow roads of Nepal streets to show me more. I saw locale dimensions of typical Nepal. Wasn’t I fortunate?

By 12 PM, I reached the airport. I seriously did not know how to thank Aleex. He took my luggage out of the cab. I wish to see him when chance put me there once again!

I got into the flight. Past 7 days had been beautiful but past one day was just Happy for me. Thoughts over rolled on human beings, situations that prove that we are human ‘BEINGS’. I saw Nepal so small under my vision and was happy that my identity is somewhere resting in the land of NEPAL!
Who knew that my dream at the opening scene could be an instinct and wanted to tell me that before thrashing on to the ground you had chance to slip just like that with the help of people I do not know!

Yes, I was a traveler. The last one day has proved it to be! Lost in Nepal for a day was a small incident but small things makes life beautiful!

-          Susuwrites/ Nepal Diaries/




No comments: